- Supervises and monitors and planning, coordination and conduct of research and developmental activities in the fields of Hydrometeorology, Agrometeorology, Tropical Meteorology, Meteorological and Hydrological Instrument, Space Science and Astronomy;
- Supervises and monitors the planning, coordination and conduct of technical training in line with the Human Resource Development Plan of PAGASA;
- Directs and supervises the activities of the RDTD through the Chiefs of Sections to ensure its continuous functions;
- Supervises the implementation of Agency policies and programs in RDTD and
- Perform other assignments as directed by higher management.
Climatology & Agrometeorology Research and Development Section (CARDS)
- Develops and tests new techniques to enhance climatological analysis and prediction particularly the use of numerical weather analyses and prediction products and satellite images;
- Undertakes studies on climate change/variability with the view of predicting such changes and extreme unusual climate events; and
- Undertakes researches pertaining to crop-weather models water balance, radiation, etc.
Hydrometeorology, Tropical Meteorology & Instruments Development & Research Division (HTMIRDS)
- Undertakes researches in the atmospheric, hydrologic, agrometeorological and meteorological instruments design including but not limited to the application of remote sensing technique;
- Conduct flood risk assessment studies;
- Designs and develops prototypes of meteorological instruments with the maximum use of indigeneous materials and technology;
- Undertakes researches on understanding and predictability of the unusual behavior of tropical cyclones such as sudden change in intensity/structure, and erratic movement in support to the operation needs of tropical cyclone forecasting;
- Undertakes researches on the numerical analysis of typhoons and other related weather systems and on the capability of developing medium range forecasting
- Undertakes studies on the development of an expert system of tropical cyclone and weather forecasting scheme; and
- Undertakes researches on rainfall forecasting utilizing all conventional techniques which include remote sensing.
Numerical Modelling Section (NMS)
- Undertakes researches on the application of Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) in understanding unusual weather pattern and extreme rainfall events;
- Undertakes initiatives in the advancement of numerical modeling on weather; climate and hydrologic forecasting;
- Maintains database of all NWP products generated including related information acquired from known Meteorological Centers;
- Adapts and calibrate atmospheric hydrologic and climate numerical models for operational and research purposes; and
- Ensure the full utilization of the Super Computer system both in research and operation.
Space Sciences and Astronomy Section (SSAS)
- Undertakes studies and investigations of astronomical objects and phenomena;
- Conducts researches in astronomy, space technology and applications;
- Operates and maintains space and astronomical observation. Measurement and/or recording of space objects and phenomena;
- Maintains and disseminates precise Philippine Standard Time (PST);
- Promotes astronomy and space science through the conduct of lectures, seminars, workshops, planetarium shows and stargazing and telescoping sessions; and
- Maintains linkages with local and international space and astronomy organizations/institutions in information and data exchange and related activities
Training and Public Information Section (TPIS)
- Formulates and implements plans and programs for the conduct of training activities in the atmospheric, geophysical and space sciences, including the administration of local and foreign training grants;
- Operates and maintains the training facilities of the Agency in support of its human resources development program;
- Operates and maintains library facilities and services for the agency as well as other users; subscribes books, magazines; newspapers, scientific journals and other technical publications in support of the training and research activities of the agency.