|A participatory hydrology service of PAGASA to help prevent/ mitigate the disastrous effects of flooding;
and to assist in the development and management of water-related structures nationwide.
Section FunctionsOffice of the Division Chief
|Continually improve flood and warning and hydrometeorological/ hydrological prediction;
Extend these activities to other river systems and ungauged areas through the coordinated participation of the local government.
Flood Forecasting and Warning Section (FFWS)
- To formulate, administer and review the implementation of the operational hydrology plans, programs and policies of the agency.
- To coordinate technically the general operations of the HMD Central Office-based units with the PAGASA Regional Services Division (PRSD)/ River Flood Forecasting and Warning Centers, as well as with the concerned offices within and outside the agency involved in the flood disaster risk management.
- To coordinate with the NPC, NIA, DPWH, NDRRMC and others, regarding the inter-agencies Flood Forecasting and Warning Systems for Dam Operation (FFWSDO) and with the MMDA regarding the Metro Manila Effective Flood Control Operation Systems (EFCOS); and
- To maintain local/ international hydro-related linkages/cooperation
Hydrometeorological Data Application Section (HMDAS)
- To monitor the meteorological and hydrological conditions of the country's river basins/systems being serviced in collaboration with the PRSDs, for the provision of hydrological/flood information packages;
- To collaborate with: NPC and NIA in the implementation of the hydrological aspect of Flood Forecasting and Warning System for Dam Operation (FFWSDO); MMDA on the Metro Manila EFCOS; and other national institutions involved in flood disaster mitigation and other related activities;
- To improve the methods, procedures and tehcniques in hydrological (flood) forecasting and warning; and
- To conduct public information/education on floods and other related topics in the national level.
Hydrometeorological Telemetry Section (HMTS)
- To undertake basic hydromet/hydrologic data acquisition and processing for the provision of hydromet/hydrologic predictions or design storms, hydro forecasting models, flood hazards maps and other applications;
- To improve the methods, procedures and techniques in hydromet/hydrologic applications and in the maintenance of the Division's database management system;
- To monitor the River Flood Forecasting and Warning Center's non-real-time data acquisition and primary processing; and
- To coordinate with the PRSD regarding the outputs of the hydrometeorological station network
River Flood Forecasting And Warning Centers (RFFWCs)
- To monitor the overall operation and maintenance of the Division's/ PRSD River Forecast Centers telemetry/telecommunication system networks, telemetering gauging instruments / equipments and other electronic and electro-mechanical facilities, for real-time hydrologica data acquisition.
- To improve the methods and procedures in the operation and maintenance of the telemetry and multiplex telecommunication system.
- To collaborate with NPC and NIA in the implementation of the telecommunication aspect of Flood Forecasting and Warning System for Dam Operations (FFWSDO).
The primary functions of the Pampanga, Agno, Bicol and Cagayan (PABC) River Flood Forecasting Warning Centers are:
- To monitor the meteorological and hydrological conditions of the concerned river basin and the dam operation in coordination with FFWS, for the issuance of various hydrological information packages;
- To conduct river hydrographic survey and primary data processing, and basin post-flood investigation in coordination when needed with HMDAS and FFWS, respectively;
- To maintain the hydrological observation facilities and telemetry system of the basin, including the electro-mechanical and gauging equipment / instruments, in coordination with HMTS;
- To conduct public information drives on floods and other related topics in the local level; and
- To collaborate/cooperate with local institutions involved in flood disaster mitigation and other related activities.