RESEARCH ASSISTANT (2) - WIBI Project
Terms of Reference for Research Assistant
The PCIC in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is implementing the “Scaling-up Risk Transfer Mechanisms for Climate Vulnerable Agriculture-based Communities in Mindanao which is referred to as “WIBI Mindanao Project” in Region X and XI focusing on the development of Weather Index Based Crop Insurance (WIBI) Package in the provinces of Bukidnon, Misamis Oriental, Misamis Occidental, Camiguin, Davao del Norte, Compostela Valley, Davao Oriental and Davao Del Sur as its project areas. It recognizes that farmers need to be prepared for less-damaging but high probability climate events through planned adaptation as well as low-probability but high-impact (or catastrophic) climate events through combination of disaster risk management and climate resilient farming practices, not only as critical in reducing climate vulnerability in their own right but as prerequisites for effective functioning and sustainability of the Weather Index-Based Insurance (WIBI) as they correspond to the important basis risks that need to be addressed.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), the government agency mandated to provide protection against natural calamities and the utilization of scientific knowledge as an effective instrument to ensure the safety, well-being and economic security of all the people will play significant role in the implementation of the WIBI Mindanao Project. Key activities to be undertaken under the project include the provision of relevant data needed for the computation of the weather based index as well as establishing a national preliminary correlation function for banana, sugarcane, coconut and cacao in major crop growing areas. Under the project PAGASA will provide historical weather data in Regions X and XI area of implementation necessary for designing and pricing of products in WIBI Mindanao Area. Detailed activities are discussed in the preceding sections of the report.
In line with this, PAGASA will be hiring (2) research assistants that will conduct the following activities:
1. Carry out collection of relevant data;
2. Assist in data processing and analysis;
3. Prepare/write reports, summaries and presentations;
4. Coordinate the various activities to be conducted under the project such as trainings/workshops;
5. Perform other activities that may be required by the Project Leader
• Must be computer literate. Skill in the use of computer spread sheet and/or database applications in the compilation of research data
• Must have experience in conducting research and has the ability to explain their studies: what they were trying to learn, the methods they used, what they found, and what they think the implications of their findings.
• Has the ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing on technical issues.
• Ability to carry out research and prepare complete and concise reports on research activities.
• Must have background on Geographic Information System.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Ability to evaluate, verify, and edit research data
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or agriculture
• Working experience/s in projects is/are preferred
To apply, please send or directly submit your curriculum vitae and a letter of interest mentioning the post for which you are applying to
Ms. Rosalina G. de Guzman on or before January 3, 2017 at Climatology and Agrometeorology Data Section – PAGASA Central Office.
Monthly Salary = P 25,000.00
Contract of employment = 6 months