Terms of Reference for Research Assistant
Action-ready Climate Knowledge to Improve Disaster Risk Management for Small Holder Farmers in the Philippines Project (ACIAR ASEM)
The Action-Ready Climate Knowledge to Improve Disaster Risk Management for Small Holder Farmers in the Philippines Project (ACIAR ASEM) is a grant under the Special Climate Change Fund of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) through the World Bank (WB). The project development objective (PDO) is to enable the targeted communities adapt to the potential impacts of climate variability and climate change in the Philippines, which is envisioned to be achieved by strengthening existing institutional frameworks for climate change adaptation and by demonstrating cost-effective adaptation strategies in agriculture and natural resources management.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), the government agency mandated to provide protection against natural calamities and the utilization of scientific knowledge as an effective instrument to ensure the safety, well-being and economic security of all the people play significant role in the implementation of the ACIAR ASEM Project. Key activities to be undertaken under the project include the provision of relevant climate information needed for the retrofitting of irrigation facilities.
In line with this, PAGASA will be hiring one (1) Research Assistant that will conduct the following activities:
• Carry out collection of relevant data;
• Assist in data processing and analysis;
• Prepare/write reports, summaries and presentations;
• Coordinate the various activities to be conducted under the project such as trainings/workshops;
• Perform other activities that may be required by the Project Leader
• Must be skilled in the use of computer spreadsheet and/or database applications in the compilation of research data;
• Familiar with computing platforms such as but not limited to Linux and Windows;
• Ability to conduct research studies
• Good oral and written communication skills;
• Must have a background on GIS and other spatial visualization platforms; and
• Excellent organizational and management skills.
• Must be computer literate. Skill in the use of computer spreadsheet and/or database applications in the compilation of research data
• Must have experience in conducting research and has the ability to explain their studies: what they were trying to learn, the methods they used, what they found, and what they think the implications of their findings.
• Has the ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing on technical issues.
• Ability to carry out research and prepare complete and concise reports on research activities.
• Must have background on Geographic Information System.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Ability to evaluate, verify, and edit research data
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in agriculture major in crop science
• Working experience/s in projects is/are preferred
Monthly Salary = P 30,000.00
Contract of employment = 6 months
To apply, please send your curriculum vitae and a letter of interest mentioning the post for which you are applying and describe how you are qualified to:
Ms. ROSALINA G. DE GUZMAN
Asst. Weather Services Chief
Climate and Agromet Data Section
PAGASA Central Office
Email address: rdeguzmanph(at)yahoo.com